1/2 kg potatoes
2 1/2 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp butter
For the choux paste
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
(oil for deep frying)
1. Peel potatoes, wash and cut into quarters. In a saucepan, combine water, salt, bring to a boil and add potatoes, cook until they are soft. Drain off water.
2. Transfer potaoes to a bowl and mash.
3. In a pan, cook potatoes and cook over low fire, add egg yolk. Stir until well blended. Let cool.
Prpare choix paste.
1. In a saucepan, combine water, salt and butter. Heat until butter melts and water boils. Lower heat. Add flour, stir until mixture leaves sides of pan. Turn off fire.
2. Let cool. Beat in eggs one at a time, and beat until mixture is smooth and shiny.
3. Fold choux paste into Duchess potato mixture. Mix well
4. Scoop into piping bag with a large star tube tip.
5. Pipe out into spirals to a lightly greased tray.
Heat oil in pan and deep fry potato until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot