Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Kamias or Iba


A neighbor gave this plateful of Kamias today. What am I gonna do with this fruit? First I'm gonna eat them raw with some salt as dipping sauce or sawsawan (a good idea for bad breath and as post extraction regimen). My dentist extracted my tooth yesterday. He advised me to rinse my mouth with warm water and salt the next day.
You can do a lot of things with this, as souring ingredients, candy, preserves, prunes, for sinigang and paksiw. I saw my mother adding kamias in her "dinuguan" instead of using vinegar.
According to the Philippines Department of Science and Technology, Kamias, (Averrhoa balimbi Lin) fruits and leaves have various uses. Fruit are made into food seasoning, preserves, jam, pickles and candies, and used as well in cleaning hands and removing stains from clothing. Kamias juice is made into syrup and can cure fever, haemorrhage, beri-beri cough. Leaves can be heated and applied to skin itches and irritations. It can also cure inflammation of the rectum, rheumatism and pimples.
It can also cure inflammation of the rectum, rheumatism and pimples. Kamias thrives in any kind of soil that is well-drained. It grows best in wind-and sun-sheltered places with evenly distributed rainfall. Though evenly distributed throughout the archipelago, kamias or locally known as "Ibâ" is now considered endangered specie in Catanduanes. in wind-and sun-sheltered places with evenly distributed rainfall. One characteristic of this tree specie is its capacity to withstand typhoons.
Kamias are also grown in Hawaii and Florida.

No comments:

Blood Moon

I captured this Super Blood Moon last January 2018 from our balcony.