Thursday, June 12, 2008

Rudy Fernandez and Peri-ampullary Cancer

June 7, 2008 - actor Rudy Fernandez passed away at age 56 after a two- year battle with peri ampullary cancer.

Why am I upset? Why am I affected? His friends, fans and everyone who knew him mourned his death. How am I related with Daboy, what is my connection to him?

What do we have in common?
The answer is Peri-Ampullary Cancer! Yes... we have the same illness. The only difference is he was diagnosed at stage IV in 2006 and mine was diagnosed early in 1991. We both have Whipple Surgery (pancreaticoduodenectomy).

Last year, I started this blog to write about food, recipes and my travels. When I learned about Rudy's CA, I decided to blog my experience with this type of illness which only a survivor could relate, explain, and feel what its like to be stricken with this rare type of cancer.

What is a Whipple operation?
In the Whipple operation the head of the pancreas, a portion of the stomach, bile duct, and the duodenum is removed. Occasionally a portion of the stomach may also be removed. After removal of these structures the remaining pancreas, bile duct and the intestine is sutured back into the intestine to direct the gastrointestinal secretions back into the gut.

Daboy will suffer no more.


No comments:

Blood Moon

I captured this Super Blood Moon last January 2018 from our balcony.